A lumbar disk replacement surgery involves replacing a worn or degenerated disk in the lower part of your spine with an artificial replacement.
Lumbar disk replacement is a major surgery that requires general anesthesia and a 2-day to 4-day hospital stay.
When is it Performed
Lumbar disk replacement surgery might be recommended if:
- The source of your back pain mostly comes from only 1 or 2 disks in the spine.
- There is no significant joint disease or compression on the nerves.
- The patient is not excessively overweight.
- There is no history of any previous spinal surgery.
- Patient does not have scoliosis or another spinal deformity.
Test & Diagnosis
There are no specific tests for Artificial Disc Replacement. Ultimately, the diagnosis relies on ruling out other conditions that might produce similar symptoms.
However, sometimes MRI, CT scan, PET scan can also performed to get the details.
During surgery, an incision is made in the abdomen and the spine is exposed. The disc is removed and any collapse of the disc is restored. Two metal plates are placed into the disc space. A plastic bearing is placed between these discs to allow them to move.
Hospital stay- 2-3 days
Some of the potential risks of this surgery include:
- Infection of the artificial disk or the area surrounding the artificial disk
- Dislocation or dislodgement of the artificial disk
- Implant failure or fracture
- Implant loosening or wear
- Narrowing of the spine (stenosis) because of the breakdown of spinal bones
- Problems associated with a poorly positioned implant
- Stiffness or rigidity of the spine
There may be other risks, depending on your specific medical condition.
Life after Surgery
Patients are encouraged to start walking on the day of the surgery itself. The hospital stay is usually 2-3 days after the surgery, but the patient’s complete recovery may take from a few weeks to a few months.
Exact Cost of the Disc Replacement Surgery will vary person to person and will depend on health condition of the Individual and also choice of the healthcare facility and Hospital Room, however average minimum price of the Medical Procedure is around USD 3000- USD 4000 for one disc this cost Include the cost of the Implant, Surgeon’s fees, Anesthetist fees and the hospital stay of 3-4 days in twin sharing room.
Doctors and Surgeons present in NewLife Health Tour's network hospitals are well trained in Disc Replacement Surgery and in other Medical specialties. Doctors will work with you to determine the most appropriate treatment plan, based on your symptoms and the resources. Our associate Board certified surgeons are highly experienced and have performed more than hundreds of such kinds of surgery at our state of the art JCI accredited hospitals where diagnostic and therapeutic services are seamlessly integrated under the same roof. Our World-renowned team of surgeons and highly trained nurses provide comprehensive care of the highest quality, ensuring that patients receive the most advanced treatments known to medicine.